Working to Reduce Medication Errors Related to Dosing and Labeling
Hospira is committed to developing products that support accurate drug selection and administration. It’s central to the way we design everything from our innovative drug delivery systems and safety support software to the labels on our medications.
According to a recent study, at least 25% of all harmful adverse drug events (ADEs) are preventable.1 Our products have a variety of features that can improve labeling and dosing accuracy, which may help to reduce the risk of medication errors. These features include:
At the bedside, bar-code technology can confirm your patient's identity as well as the medication to be administered:
- Hospira's line of more than 1,000 injectable pharmaceuticals and IV solutions are 100% bar-coded
- LifeCare PCA™ is the only PCA pump with an integral bar-code reader for prefilled and pharmacy-filled drug vials
- Our comprehensive line of emergency syringes includes the Abboject™ and Ansyr™ syringes, both 100% bar-coded at unit-of-use
Prefilled and Premixed Products
Prefilled and premixed medications can help eliminate guesswork and promote proper dosing:
- iSecure™ prefilled syringes are self-contained for easy administration and disposal
- FirstChoice™ premixes feature standardized concentrations that can help minimize mixing and handling errors
- ADD-Vantage™ systems enable you to prepare medications quickly and accurately without needles or syringes
Advances in technology can help you expand the horizons of your patient safety programs:
- Hospira MedNet™ safety software features hard and soft limits and alerts displayed on the infusion device to help prevent dosing outside institution-defined parameters
- Our leading IV Clinical Integration solution connects the medication order with the IV pump, patient information and electronic medical record (EMR) to streamline workflow and help improve patient safety. Hospira was recognized as the "early leader" in EMR integration with infusion pumps in the KLAS Smart Pumps 2012: Wireless Technology and EMR Integration Report2
Developing products that can help you ensure proper medication administration is one of our highest priorities, because we know it’s one of yours. Fonts, colors, clarity of screen displays — no detail is too small for us to improve upon, because they can all make a big difference in your confidence when caring for patients.
- Preventing Medication Errors: Quality Chasm Series, Institute of Medicine, National Academy of Sciences. Aspden P, Wolcott JA, Bootman JL, Cronenwett LR, eds. Available at: http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=11623. Accessed March 26, 2012.
- "Smart Pumps 2012: Wireless Technology and EMR Integration," April, 2012. © 2012 KLAS Enterprises, LLC. All rights reserved. www.KLASresearch.com.